Google

Saturday, April 23, 2005

Morons

It's the bane of intelligent people everywhere. Once you do one thing that people think is amazing, no matter how mundane, you are the one people come to for everything, up to and including fixing their mistakes. My mom made me build her a website for her business. Not a difficult thing. She knows nothing of web design; if I threw a couple acronyms at her she'd probably have a heart attack and die. Yet she saw fit to go romping around through the settings on the site, and all of a sudden no one can access the website. Well done! You've broken the Internet, I told her. Then her merchant account disappears. Then she makes too many guesses at the security key that she couldn't access her first order! And it was $600!!! Now I get to sweep this mess up, while she's asking inane questions about a procedure that she's already read the instructions on. I told her to do the first formula. It has only four steps. I get an email asking how to do it! I said, "You just read it! You couldn't have forgotten that quickly!"

Now I have a new job. I had to leave my old one because I couldn't get a new schedule. I walked in and showed the hiring manager a proposed schedule. He said it should be fine, and asked me to submit the paperwork for it. I got the forms in shortly before I had to leave, as I was going to be gone for two weeks on vacation. Something told me to check back, and so I did, on the last day of my vacation. Bear in mind that I needed the new schedule to start the previous Monday. I got there, and I found out that the entire request was denied! Not part of it, the whole thing! I had to work at a second job the next day, but now I was scheduled here too. Not gonna work. I talked with the sup on duty, and she couldn't do anything but mark me as off unpaid. The hiring manager wouldn't be in until Monday, so I'd have to work the first part of my regular god-awful split shift, from 6:30 to 9:30 AM. He was supposed to be in at 8, but he was late as usual. Strolling in with an arrogant gait at 9, I decided to go see him when I got off. I walked over to his desk and the pompous twit wouldn't even look at me while he commented that he can't afford to lose a closer, and there are many people waiting in line for an earlier shift. Besides, he commented, "I'm not required to work around your school schedule." Really? Actually, no employer can deny someone an education by refusing to work around school. Rather than argue the point, and because the job sucked to no end, I acknowledged him, walked back to my kennel, and proceeded to pack my things. I emailed a couple people, and my sup, and just walked out.

My new job is better, though not by much. It's something I'm experienced at, so that helps. The only thing is, I'm the ONLY one here experienced at it. This place is run in such a slip-shod fashion that I'm itching to take over the managers position, which I could do sleeping upside down in a corner in some stranger's apartment four towns over better than the existing manager. She's sweet, but she's just kind of there. I asked what I thought was a typical question, when was the last time the copiers were calibrated. She gave me the most perplexed look I'd ever seen. I just about said, "Trade me seats." She keeps coming to me for ideas about how to make the place more money. I keep saying why don't we charge for our services, that'd be a great start. Everyday I come in she's left me at least one project that she couldn't/wouldn't do herself. On the bright side it's so much less stress. I've had the chance to realize how little it takes to make me inexplicably happy. I've started honing some of my innate abilities, much to my parents chagrin.

2 Comments:

Blogger Woman~Of~Heart said...

I am so glad that you quit that scummy job and are working down the hall from me! It's makes the mindlessness of the tutoring center much easier to bear, especially since a certain former mutal acquaintence still lurks...er...works there.
Thanks for the "bubbles."

10:16 PM  
Blogger enveloped nescience said...

See i too am very glad that you are working over there since its right next to me. And hey you also have eye candy to look at all of the time.

9:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home